DATE: Sunday 28 May 2017
SPEAKER: Bishop Emmanuel Bawa
MAIN SCRIPTURES: Hebrews 13: 9, Romans 14:17 Ephesians 2:8 - 9, Romans 14: 20
Hebrews 13: 9 "Do not be carried away by all kinds of strange teachings. It is good for our hearts to be strengthened by grace, not by eating ceremonial foods, which is of no benefit to those who do so."
Romans 14:17 "For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost." (KJV)
Sometimes Christians are confused when it comes to foods: what to eat and what not to eat.
There are also other religions that place a very strong emphases on foods, in that certain foods will make you righteous. Also they stae that those who eat certain foods are unclean. Thus confusing many people.
Religion is full of do's and don’ts. Religion is a way of trying to please God from the way people can see it (outside or external).
Praise the Lord we are under the Grace of God!!
Ephesians 2:8 - 9 "For it is by God's grace that you have been saved through faith. It is not the result of your own efforts, but God's gift, so that no one can boast about it." Good News Translation (GNT)
- Mostly what we eat is what we were taught by our mothers and what we do not eat is what our mothers never ate.
- Holiness is not in food.
- Food does not make us holy nor make us unclean.
- Righteousness is found in the heart.
From our actions / behaviors: do they reflect how our lives show that Christ is in control?
Romans 14: 20 "For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence."
- Separation in the Old Testament.
In the Old Testament it was meant to separate the Children of Israel from other nations as a chosen race.
- Holiness was manual
- It was a shadow of the Grace to come
- Colossians 2:16 "Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day"
- Clean or Unclean Food.
- Acts 10: 14-16 Surely not, Lord” Peter replied.”I have never eaten anything unclean,”
The voice spoke to him a second time, “Do not call anything unclean that God has made clean.”
This happened three time, and immediately the sheet was taken back to heaven.
- The Kingdom of God Is Not In Eating Or Drinking.
- Romans 14:17 "For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit."
- Food Is For The Body Not for The Spirit
- The word of God is food for the soul; thus the word of God feeds the soul.
- Matthew 4:4 Jesus answered, ‘It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God
- We Must Eat Well To Live Well.
- With a clear heart without fear.
- Colossians 3: 17 "And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the Name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
7. Pespective of Researchers
- Researchers are now confusing people, stating that if you eat this, it causes cancer. If you do this, it causes cancer, thus people do not know what is right and what is not right.
- We eat by faith.
- We are free to eat anything as long its ok for you.
- Certain foods go well according to our bodies.
- Do not let anyone JUDGE you, and also do not JUDGE others.