DATE: Sunday 9 July 2017
MESSAGE: Spiritual Athletics
SPEAKER: Pastor Trust Bure
MAIN SCRIPTURES: 1 Corinthians 9:24 - 27, Galatians 5:7, Phillipians 3:13 - 14, Acts 20:24, 2 Timothy 4:7
1. RUN WITH AN AIM (1 Corinthians 9:24 - 27)
-The writer took an illustration from the sports world to teach about the spiritual living through Christianity. - You must run with a purpose (with something in the mind).
- We must serve God with something in the mind. SERVE WITH AN AIM!
- Our minds should be compelled with the prize awaiting for us.
- Don't be in habit of coming to church with a mind which is void or because you don't have a place to go.
- You must come with a heart prepared and ready to worship because there is a PRIZE awaiting!
- Your ambition must be to do what is best for the Lord.
- There are different types of athletics in the world - in the spiritual athletics, the Christian life is a long-distance marathon.
- Some Christians leave their race - because they think its a short distance race.
- It is required to have clear focus during a race - you must focus on Jesus.
2. Stumbling Block (Galatians 5:7, Acts 20:24)
- There are many doctrines that have become stumbling blocks in today's Christian world.
- There are hindrances in the spiritual race.
- You must know and read your bible.
- Where there is TRUTH there is a COUNTERFEIT TRUTH.
- Obstacles in the form of gossip, wrong doctrines, false accusation, opposition, comparing yourself with others etc
- Our race is different from the race of others.
- People who compare themselves with others never reach anywhere in their life.
3. Pressing Toward The Goal (Phillipians 3:13 - 14)
- It is not easy to run in a race because it requires one to strain or exceed himself/herself.
- We must not serve God reluctantly - He doesn't want us to serve as lazy people.
- In the natural world, people have a vision looking towards the future.
- It is important to have a goal in your life - because that is the energy that keeps you moving forward.
- Paul was teaching us to have a spirit of striving towards our goal(s).
- It is useless to start something, and leave it unfinished.
- We must strive to reach the end.
- Vision is the spiritual eye that looks into the future.
PRINCIPLES WE LEARN HERE
1. Finish The Race
2. Straightforward focus - we must maintain a clear focus on Jesus.
- looking behind will distract you.
- don't live in the past.
Two things that hinder Christians:
- double minded.
- indifferent mind.